Our bee populations are an essential ecological asset to the UK. It’s easy to think bees only provide us with honey, but in fact, as one of our best pollinating insects, they’re key to stable, healthy food supplies including most fruit and vegetables - from the apple in our lunchbox, to the tomatoes on our pizza. What did you have for breakfast today? Jam on toast? Fresh fruit? Maybe a coffee? Well, the work of bees helped to bring all of this to you. By transferring pollen between flowering plants, bees keep the cycle of life turning.
What’s more, the bee has been an emblem for the city of Manchester for over 150 years, representing both the hard work of Mancunians and the way that we work together. As a company based in Manchester, at Bellfield Clothing we want to do our utmost to protect the creatures that serve as a symbol for our amazing city.
Because the truth is that bees need us as much as we need them. Britain’s bees are in trouble – in the UK alone, we have already lost around 13 bee species and another 35 are currently at risk of extinction thanks to pesticides, climate change and habitat loss.
That’s why we partnered with environmental organisation Friends of the Earth and worked together to create our ‘Bee Kind’ t-shirt. This t-shirt is made from 100% organic cotton, grown free from bee-harming chemicals and pesticides, and 10% of all sales support their work to protect bees and nature.
But bees aren’t safe yet - so before you buzz off, we would like to share some advice from Friends of the Earth on how you can help to protect them. A few easy actions that will go a long way include:
- Planting wildflower seeds to help bees find the food that they need to survive and thrive.
- Making a bee hotel in your garden to give weary bees a place to sleep, eat and drink. Find out how to create this here!
- Avoiding using bee-harming pesticides, such as lawn improvers and weed-killers, in your garden.
- Giving bees shelter by letting the grass grow, cutting it less often and less closely, to help give pollinators places to feed and shelter.
- Signing Friends of the Earth’s petition to make the countryside a safer place for wildlife.
So let’s create bee-friendly communities - and together, carry out these simple steps alongside our friends and family to give bees a better future!